July 18, 2012

Results of Hearing Evaluation

Averie did a wonderful job at the Doctor's office yesterday. She was very cooperative with the nurses. At the start of the appointment the Doctor noticed some fluid in her ears, and did a few tests to verify it was not draining. The actual hearing evaluation was kind of neat, while at the same time nerve racking for Mommy. No one wants anything to be wrong with their child's ears obviously. They took us into this little sound proof room. While in this room they made noises to see if Averie would look for them. She did an okay job, but you could tell that she was not hearing some of the softer sounds.

A personal side note: my daughter loves lights so she was starring at the above light for half the time. To get an accurate result I recommended that they turn it off {smiles}. I know I am making excuses. I just wanted her ears to be perfect.

After all the fun noise tests, we moved back into the exam room where the doctor talked about our options. He recommended that she have tubes put in her ears so that the fluid that is currently just sitting there could drain. I asked him a bunch of questions like any mother would. One of them was, "what is she hearing now?" He said that everything we say to her is muffled. When we talk to her the noise bounces off of the fluid and then registers, and that is what she hears. He said that putting the tubes in, her speech could improve, by waiting she could fall further behind in her speech development. After talking to him and asking a million questions. I pretty much had made up my mind, but I still had to talk to B. After to talking to him we were on the same page, easy decision. Tubes here we come. I am a little excited to see if her speech really does improve. I am not however looking forward to surgery. The MD said they will have to put her under using general anesthesia. The idea of Averie going under scares me to tears. I just want my boo boo to be healthy and happy.

The way I see this whole situation is this, I rather her have to have tubes put in her ears, than have heart problems and go through the many surgeries that would require. We lucked out there, she has a healthy well developed little heart. I am blessed that at the moment this is the worst of surgeries that she will have to go through. I HOPE!



0 comments:

Post a Comment